Thursday, October 22, 2020

END SARS Poem: Devil in Uniform - Etumnu Emeka Williams

 

DEVIL IN UNIFORM

 


 

 

It hurts, yes it hurts

Getting this bruises

From one meant to protect

That's how bad it can be

 

They assumed "god"

Yet devil in that uniform

Protector now oppressor

That's how bad it can be

 

Oh ye prophet of pain!

Your anger you can't tame

Has caused us grave pain

Our bread winner

Oh you have taken

And my strength you drain

That's how bad it can be

 

Oh you tormentor 

Who is your next prey

To feed on like vulture

It has become your culture

In a state with no system

That's how bad it can be

 

In my torment

The judge is bribed

Denied justice

Why me

Why me

I ask why me

Because I'm a common man?

That is how bad it can be.

 

Etumnu Emeka Williams

 

About the Poet

 

Etumnu Emeka Williams is a member of the Society of Young Nigerian Writers; he has several published poems in online poetry platforms such as Allpoetry, Poemhunters, Poemia etc. and contributed a poem entitled "Judge from Wuhan" in the Poetry/Essay anthology COVID-19 Ripostes of Lockdown Voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

END SARS Essay: Did The Protest Really Fail? -Isaac Mighty Emmanuel

  DID THE PROTEST REALLY FAIL?   In the Igbo lore an adage tells us that whatever time a man wakes up that's his own morning. ...